I was asked questions, but I actually had to work both my jobs today, and I am le tired.
I love that you guys asked them though.
When was super depressed, I wasn’t working—I was always too depressed. Hemingway did his best work when he didn’t drink, then he drank himself to death and blew his head off with a shotgun. Someone asked John Cheever, “What’d you learn from Hemingway?” and he said “I learned not to blow my head off with a shotgun.” I remember going to the Michigan poetry festival, meeting Etheridge Knight there and Robert Creeley. Creeley was so drunk—he was reading and he only had one eye, of course, and had to hold his book like two inches from his face using his one good eye. But you look at somebody like George Saunders—I think he’s the best short story writer in English alive—that’s somebody who tries very hard to live a sane, alert life.
You’re present when you’re not drinking a fifth of Jack Daniel’s every day. It’s probably better for your writing career, you know? I think being tortured as a virtue is a kind of antiquated sense of what it is to be an artist.
In an interview with The Fix, Mary Karr debunks the toxic mythology that it is necessary to be damaged in order to be creative. My own vehement defiance to that mythology is what led me to choose Ray Bradbury – the ultimate epitome of creating from joy rather than suffering – as the subject of my contribution to The New York Times’ The Lives They Lived.
Pair with Karr on why writers write.
i didn’t graduate high school on time (i graduated the summer after the rest of my class).
both of my parents got GEDs, and i was the first person in my family (except for my stepdad) to make it past 10th grade.
graduating late, or not at all, doesn’t mean you’re dumb or worthless.
graduating, or graduating with honors, doesn’t mean you’re smart and more worthwhile as a person.
don’t be a fuckface to people about their diploma status.
My dad has GED. And a Ph.D.
So. I agree, is what I’m saying here.
in harry potter we don’t say “i love you” we say “LILY TAKE HARRY AND RUN GO I’LL HOLD HIM OFF” which roughly translates to “james potter is better than your sorry ass” and i think that’s beautiful
3. If you were far from home and needed to sleep for the night, would you choose to rent a crappy motel room for $60 or sleep in your car for free?
If I could afford it, motel. Crappy motels are usually not that crappy.
4. Is there a color shirt you’d NEVER wear?
No. Love colors!
9. Would you ever bleach your hair platinum blonde?
Probably. I’ve bleached it to dye it before.
16. What was the last movie you watched?
Porco Rosso! Though, I am watching Guilt Trip as we speak! It’s really good so far.
35. Are you happy summer is coming soon?
SO EXCITED, I LOVE WARM WEATHER, I LOVE SWIMMING, ICE CREAM, MY BIRTHDAY, TRIP TO ALASKA!
36. Do you have drama in your life?
I ANSWERED THIS.
5. Is there a situation where you caved into peer pressure and regretted it?
UM. HM. Not that I can think of. I was maybe peer pressured a little into drinking, but I rather enjoy that.
6. What is your favorite video game console? Why?
Fucking GAME CUBE. It the best, can not be improved upon, SUPER SMASH, SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE, Eternal Darkness if you’re into that sort of thing. Except for I need a ps3 or xbox to do the Dragon Age thing and the Netflix thing. I think I prefer the ps3 set-up.
8. Have you ever been in a relationship that was going great, and then suddenly something weird happened and you just KNEW it was going to be over soon?
15. How long until your next birthday?
IT’S SO SOON! 26 days! It’s June 18th, in case you wanted to get me a gift.
17. If you could see any musician live, front row, who would you choose?
Are you kidding me. David Mother Fucking Bowie.
22. Do you still talk to any of your ex’s?
Yup. John especially. HE’S OKAY.
27. Does it bother you when people try to make you jealous?
Eeeeeeeeeeeeh. I mean. Possibly they are successful, and it makes me jealous, but I begrude no one a tool of manipulation.
29. Do you have more than $50 in your room?
30. Are both of your blood parents still in your life?
Yes, they are my favorites. My mom even reads my tumblr sometimes. Hi mom!
36. Do you have drama in your life?
Not much. Occasionally I have some stripper drama.